Shiftyj1

Adam Nevill
Exorcist Falls: Includes the novella Exorcist Road
Jonathan Janz

Prisoner 489

Prisoner 489 - Joe R. Lansdale Lansdale is the man! The dude can straight up tell a crazy engaging story. Prisoner 489 is no exception. I went into this one cold without reading any blurbs, reviews or the synopsis. The only clue I had to the story was the cover (and obviously the title).

This review does contain spoilers that I will hide. I would not read them if you have not already read the novella, but that's just me. You have been warned :)

I wasn’t sure where this one was going…until the coffin showed up. Then I knew it was going to get crazy. I am a big fan of the Golem in stories and have always been fascinated with the concept. While they was no earth shattering revelations regarding the creature or mythos, I still found it very engaging nonetheless. The history of the prison and the island was very well done in typical Lansdale style, revealing just enough back-story to be utterly satisfying without spending too many words to get the point across.

Overall, an excellent and very enjoyable novella from one of the all time masters. This one is fast paced and reads quickly. I blew through it too fast and I didn’t want this one to end. Solid 4.5 Stars and Highly Recommended!

SPOLIER ALERT The only reason I did not give this one 5 stars (even though I did round up that way) was because I thought that if the main prison was designed to hold “special and dangerously different” prisoners then I would think they would have been better at trying to kill or contain the Golem. At the very least the same markings and symbols on the walls of the creatures cell should have been on the inside of the coffin. Yeah, yeah, how nitpicky can I be?