Shiftyj1

Adam Nevill
Exorcist Falls: Includes the novella Exorcist Road
Jonathan Janz

The Secret History

The Secret History - Donna Tartt Drugs, scotch, incest, murder and Greek class. Good times. Sounds like college to me.

Ok, not really.

A friend recommended this book to me and I am glad that he did because I otherwise would have probably never picked it up. As a matter of fact, I had never even heard of it, prior to seeing it on his blog.

The first person narrative reminded me of American Psycho for some reason. Without the excessive fashion and culinary references and the gory chop ‘em up story line. Maybe it didn’t remind me of AP so much as the main character Richard did - Not in a bat shit crazy way, but in the understated, near emotionless way the characters related to each other and the tragic events surrounding them. Honestly, I should have been bored to tears with this one, but I wasn’t and I don’t know how Tartt did it. The characters were not the least bit likeable and some of the dialog and plot lines were rambling, seemingly without much direction, yet I was engaged the entire time.

Why did I like this so much?

I don’t know. I shouldn’t have…and I did.

4+ Stars for sure. Maybe more.

(P.S. At the time I wrote this I did not know that Tartt and Ellis actually dated and were in writing classes together. Creepy, man, creepy. I guess they did rub off on each other a little bit.)