Shiftyj1

Adam Nevill
Exorcist Falls: Includes the novella Exorcist Road
Jonathan Janz

The Fireman: A Novel

The Fireman: A Novel - Joe Hill I was intending to write up a long and brilliant review of this one, but soon realized that pretty much everything that I wanted to say has already been said better by many of my friends here on Goodreads.

This was a very good one from Mr. Hill. I may be a wee bit biased at the moment since I just went to an author signing of his and it was pretty amazing. Joe was extremely gracious and funny. He read a passage from “The Fireman”, answered questions, signed books and even had a sing along with a “kazoorchestra”. My wife, who has no idea who he is and has never read anything by him (or his father, for that matter), was chatting away with him and having a few laughs and of course I’m stuttering about trying to talk to him intelligently without sounding like a major fanboy. I failed, but my wife had a grand time. I did too, honestly ;)

Oh yeah, about the book. It’s good, man…real good. What’s not to like about an apocalyptic plague that could make a person suddenly combust into a ball of flames. There are some excellent characterizations here, as usual with Hill, and on par with his father, this is one big mofo approaching almost 800+ pages. This would have been a 5 star read for me, but there are some rambling parts that drag a bit in the center and it could have been leaner by 100 (maybe even 200) pages without losing too much. Still a fine read at 4+ Stars and Highly Recommended.