Shiftyj1

Adam Nevill
Exorcist Falls: Includes the novella Exorcist Road
Jonathan Janz

The Last Mile

The Last Mile - Tim Waggoner Ever since the Arrival, The World Before ceased to exist. A Million eyes in the sky. Staring. Watching. Malevolent. Enter, The World After where thornstalks grow from beneath the ground searching for dinner and deer monsters roam the deserted highways.

Dan is a thrall, bound to serve his Master in exchange for his family’s safety. Alice is a waitress that has developed a taste for Fatty sushi. When the two are connected, under less than ideal conditions and take a road trip to the Masters lair, things are going to get interesting.

The Last Mile by Tim Waggoner, develops a convincing post apocalyptic Lovecraftian tale of terror in a very short novella frame. I liked everything about this one. The background story was solid and the ending was a perfect fit to the tale. Very well done. Crisp writing, very little fluff and well drawn characters with some truly horrid imagery. I will never look at common kitchen utensils the same again. I was also pleased that the Master threw Alice a bone. It even had meat on it. Good Master. I will definitely be picking up some more work from Mr. Waggoner.

*As a member of the DarkFuse / NetGalley Readers Group, I received this e-book in exchange for an honest review.