Shiftyj1

Adam Nevill
Exorcist Falls: Includes the novella Exorcist Road
Jonathan Janz

Burning Amber

Burning Amber - Paul Roberts Amber has never really known her mother who has been institutionalized since she was a little girl. While out investigating wildfires for a class paper at UCLA, Amber experiences some strange events out amongst the blackened forest landscape. Then she gets a call. Her mother has awakened from her catatonic state and is asking for her. Past and present collide as Amber meets her mother and things spiral quickly out of hand – raging wildfires, ancient legends and family secrets will seek to consume Amber and all that she has ever known.

There is a lot of story here. Maybe, too much. There was a lot of back-story to get through and some of it was realized and some of it, I think, could have been developed a bit further - Maybe setting up a second novel? The writing is good and although the story hits some road bumps, Paul manages to keep the story moving at a brisk pace. Overall, Burning Amber is a good first novel from Paul Roberts and I look forward to reading more from this author.

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Actually, he sent me a copy and made it clear that I was under no obligation to review, but I read it, liked it, so I reviewed it.